Full-Time UW Students

If you are currently enrolled as a full-time student at any UW System institution (other than UW-Stout), you may be eligible for enrollment in an Independent Learning course without paying additional tuition. You are responsible for paying any course fees and course materials costs. For general information about multiple-campus enrollments, see UW System Administrative Policy 805, section 6, A, A.15.

To enroll in an Independent Learning course without paying additional tuition:

  1. Secure pre-approval: Meet with your adviser to determine your eligibility for concurrent enrollment in a UW Independent Learning course(s) and make sure the course(s) will transfer back to your campus. If eligible, complete the required campus approval form and secure all required signatures.
  2. Pre-register for the course(s): Once you’ve secured your campus approval, simply locate the course(s) in the catalog, click “Add to Cart” and proceed to checkout to pre-register. When you reach the Payment Options screen, choose the “mail/fax/phone/purchase order” option and indicate “UW Tuition Waiver” and select your campus as you proceed to “Submit Registration.”
  3. Confirmation of pre-registration: Once you pre-register for the course you will receive an automated confirmation email from Independent Learning letting you know we received your pre-registration with follow up instructions for submitting your campus approval documentation.

Tuition Waiver Processing Dates

Tuition waivers are issued and approved by your UW campus, and eligibility rules and requirements vary by campus. Independent Learning does not accept tuition waivers that are out of date. We will accept a tuition waiver for the semester for which it is approved until the deadline dates below. Please note that your campus may have a different deadline for requesting a tuition waiver. Be sure to contact your advisor about any campus-specific approval processes and deadlines.

Approved Tuition Waiver Semester Submission Deadline
Fall December 31
Spring May 31
Summer August 31

Using the UW System Transferology Credit Transfer Tool

All UW Independent Learning courses are listed within Transferology. To see if a campus is currently accepting a course, start at UW System’s Transferology page. After creating an account or logging in to Transferology, enter “University of Wisconsin Independent Learning – Extended Campus.” You will see which campuses accept your courses for transfer. Please note that delays on campus evaluation of Independent Learning courses is common. It’s always best to connect with your advisor for transfer evaluation of any Independent Learning course prior to registration.