If you are currently serving in the U.S. military, or are a U.S. military veteran, there are both state and federal programs available to help you get the education you want. You can take advantage of a variety of educational benefits offered through your military branch.

Federal Benefits


Post 9/11 GI Bill or Montgomery GI Bill Veterans wishing to use education benefits under either the Post 9/11 GI Bill or the Montgomery GI Bill for an Independent Learning course must be concurrently registered at a degree-granting institution. Written permission from that institution indicating that the Independent Learning course will be applied toward degree requirements must be submitted to the Independent Learning veterans certifying official. Only undergraduate-credit Independent Learning courses are approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Vocational RehabilitationVeterans receiving benefits under the Vocational Rehabilitation program (Chapter 31) may receive approval for Independent Learning courses. For more information, contact your Vocational Rehabilitation counselor, who is assigned by your county VA office.

For more information about veterans' educational benefits, go online to or call 888-GIBill-1 (442-4551).

State Benefits

Wisconsin educational benefits may be obtained by veterans who meet military service and state residency requirements set by the state legislature. Some benefits for which veterans may be eligible include those specified in the Wisconsin GI Bill and the Veterans Education Grant (VetEd). This bill underwent a few significant changes effective January 2010. Please view the following Web site for more information on using this benefit with UW-Independent Learning: 

Note :  If you are using the Wisconsin GI Bill benefit, you are NOT eligible to use VetEd with the Independent Learning program.

For more information on either of these benefits, call the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs toll free at 800-WIS-VETS (947-8387) or visit the Web site at Veterans living in other states should contact their state's Department of Veterans Affairs.

To find out how these benefits will apply to the Independent Learning courses you wish to take, please contact Student Services at

Live Help

Student Services Person

You may ask your questions through online chat Monday–Thursday 8:00 a.m.– 6:00 p.m. (CST) and Friday 8:00 a.m.– 4:30 p.m. (CST).

View Our Course Catalog

Choose from nearly 100 courses in a wide range of subjects.

View Course Catalog