Taking a few minutes to get familiar with Independent Learning policies and procedures can help make your experience a smooth one. Learn more about time requirements, proctors, academic honesty, and other policies and procedures below.  For additional concerns or questions contact Student Services for at 1-877-UW-LEARN (895-3276), il@uwex.edu, or via Live Chat!

Time Requirements

All Independent Learning courses except U692-100 Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Examination Prep: Students have 12 months from the date they register to complete their course.
Please note that some students have course expiration dates less than 12 months from their registration date in accordance with their home campus or school requirements. Since students set their own pace in their course many finish in advance of their 12 month expiration, with the majority finishing in 6-7 months. However, most courses are set up to complete in as little as 3 months to align with a typical semester-based course. Students who wish to work at a faster pace are encouraged to communicate their plan to their Course Facilitator (Instructor) and our Student Services team before starting the course or as soon as possible after registering to ensure their plan is achievable. Students who need extra time—beyond the 12 month limit—may request a course extension in accordance with our policy.

U692-100 Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Examination Prep course: Students enrolled in our U692-100 Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Examination Prep course have 6 months from the date they register to complete their course.

Back to top

Course Extensions

All Independent Learning courses except U692-100 Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Examination Prep:
The maximum time a student can take to complete an Independent Learning course is 18 months from the date they registered for the course. This affords students who cannot complete their course within the 12 month limit the opportunity to request a course extension. Course extensions are typically awarded in 3 month increments, as long as the total time to complete the course with the extension does not exceed 18 months. Students may request up to two extensions per course with the first request costing $100 and a second request costing $200. Students must contact Student Services to request any extensions and submit valid payment, if approved.

U692-100 Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Examination Prep course: The maximum time a student enrolled in our U692-100 Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Examination Prep course can take to complete their course is 9 months from the date they register to complete their course. This affords students who cannot complete their course within the 6-month limit the opportunity to request a one-time 3-month course extension for $100. Students must contact Student Services to request their one-time extension and submit valid payment, if approved.

Back to top

Grading Appeals

  1. To appeal a grade, send a written statement addressed to the instructor who assigned the grade. The instructor will then respond to you in writing.
  2. If a disputed grade is the result of a clerical or computational error, the grade may be changed by the Director of Independent Learning, after consultation with the chair of the academic department responsible for instruction of the course.
  3. If you are not satisfied with the results of your appeal to the instructor, you may make a written appeal to the Director of Independent Learning, the director will refer the matter to a hearing committee appointed by the Dean of Continuing Education, Outreach and E-Learning, in collaboration with the academic dean of the UW institution having major responsibility for the Independent Learning course in question.
  4. The hearing committee will request relevant information from the instructor in response to your complaint, including the grading criteria used. The hearing committee will then forward its decision, which will be final, to the Dean of Continuing Education, Outreach and E-Learning (or designee), who will share the decision with the chair of the academic department providing the instruction. The department chair will notify you of the decision.

Back to top


Students who prefer to take a course on a pass/fail basis must request to do so in writing at the time of registration or before the first assignment is submitted. For courses taken on a pass/fail basis, a grade of C– or better is passing, and a grade of D+ or lower is failing.

Students must request to take a course pass/fail in writing by sending their request to il@uwex.edu. Requests will be reviewed and students will be notified in writing if the request was approved or denied within 5 business days.

Back to top

Refunds and Withdrawals

Students have the ability to request a withdrawal any time after their date of registration in an Independent Learning course up until their 12-month expiration date or 6-month expirations date if enrolled in our U692-100 Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Examination Prep course. In order to withdraw from a course, students must submit a completed Independent Learning Course Withdrawal Request Form to Student Services prior to their 12 or 6-month expiration date via email at il@uwex.edu or via mail at CEOEL - Independent Learning, 5602 Research Park Blvd., Suite 300, Madison, WI 53719.

The refund schedule is as follows:

Note: Refunds are for tuition only and will not include any administrative fees.

Back to top

Academic Honesty

Students enrolled in Independent Learning courses must observe the same strict codes of academic honesty required of classroom students. Failure to do so will result in various penalties ranging from resubmission of assignments or reexamination to immediate expulsion from or failure in the course. Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to, submitting another's work as your own, using a solutions manual, cheating on examinations, plagiarizing in any way, and helping other students commit these or similar acts. If you have any questions as to what is acceptable, ask your instructor before submitting the work in question.

Back to top

Student Accessibility Services

Support services are available for qualified students with approved individualized accommodation plans. Please contact student services for more information.

If you are planning to visit the Independent Learning/Student Services office and have access issues, please call us at 1-877-UW-LEARN (895-3276). We will be happy to assist you.

Back to top

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) / Consent to Disclose

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 as amended governs and protects your rights to your individual educational records. The primary rights protected under FERPA are:

  1. Students’ rights to review and inspect their educational records

    Educational records are all the records about you that are maintained by the University of Wisconsin Independent Learning program in which you are or have been enrolled, with seven exceptions:

    • Personal notes of faculty and staff
    • Employment records
    • Medical and counseling records used solely for treatment
    • Campus Security records
    • Financial records of a parent or spouse
    • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in your records before January 1, 1975
    • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment or honorary recognition placed in your records after January 1, 1975, for which you have waived the right to inspect and review
  2. Students’ rights to have their educational records amended or corrected

    If you believe that your educational record is inaccurate or misleading, you may request that the University amend that record.

  3. Students’ rights to control disclosure of certain portions of their educational records

    Directory Information (Public Records)

    In accordance with FERPA, Independent Learning has designated the following categories of information about you as public, or directory information. This information will be routinely released to any inquirer unless you specifically request that all of the items on the following list be withheld:

    • Student name
    • Address
    • Email address
    • Telephone number
    • Date of birth
    • Designation of school/college (year in school)
    • Enrollment status (part/full time)
    • Major field of study
    • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
    • Height and weight of members of athletic teams
    • Dates of attendance
    • Degrees and dates of graduation including anticipated graduation dates
    • Awards received, including academic awards
    • Previous institutions attended

    Non-Directory Information (Private Records)

    Many categories of information are considered private, or protected, by the University of Wisconsin Independent Learning program. For example, information such as social security number, campus identification number, place of birth, marital status, or academic actions is restricted unless you grant permission to release.

    Who Can Request Access?

    Under FERPA, prior written consent must be obtained before your educational record may be disclosed to a third party, unless they are exempted from this provision.

    If you need us to disclose information from your records to a third party, please submit a IL Release of Information Form by email to il@uwex.edu, fax to (608) 262-4096, or mail to Student Services, 5602 Research Park Blvd., Suite 300, Madison WI 53719. You may also request this form from our office by calling 1-877-UW LEARN (1-877-895-3276) or by emailing il@uwex.edu.

    Information will be released without your prior written consent to certain groups or individual. Instances in which prior written consent is not required may include:

    • Requests in connection with an emergency, if such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of you or another person.
    • Requests in accordance with a lawful subpoena or court order.
    • Requests for public records information (see above), if not restricted by you.

    You May Choose to Restrict Information

    To request that items be restricted, you must submit a written request by email to il@uwex.edu, fax to (608) 262-4096, or mail to Student Services, 5602 Research Park Blvd., Suite 300, Madison WI 53719.

  4. Finally, students have the right to notify the U.S. Department of Education concerning an academic institution’s failure to comply with FERPA regulations.

    The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    600 Independence Ave., SW
    Washington, DC 20202-5901

    Notification of Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

    All institutions of higher education are required to notify our enrolled students at least annually of their rights under FERPA.

Back to top

Concurrent Enrollment

If you are currently enrolled as a full-time student at any UW System institution (other than UW-Stout), you may be eligible for enrollment in an Independent Learning course without paying additional tuition.

To enroll in an Independent Learning course without paying additional tuition:

  1. Ask your adviser how to verify your eligibility for concurrent enrollment in a UW Independent Learning course and where to obtain the required approval form to include the course as part of your full-time load.
  2. Go to the UW Independent Learning website (il.wisconsin.edu/catalog/index.aspx) and pre-register for the course you would like to take. When you reach the Payment Options page, choose the "mail/fax/purchase order" option and click "Submit Registration."
  3. Once you pre-register for the course you will receive an automated confirmation email from Independent Learning letting you know we received your pre-registration. You can scan and email (il@uwex.edu) the completed approval form to UW Independent Learning Student Services by attaching it to the confirmation email.
  4. Call UW Independent Learning Student Services 1-877-UW-LEARN (895-3276) and pay the $75 administrative fee over the phone or pay by check. If the total number of credits you are taking in a semester (including credits through Independent Learning) exceeds 18, you will also be responsible for the cost of the additional credits.

Once we receive your form, pre-registration, and payment, we will complete your registration.

For general information about multiple-campus enrollments, see UW System Administrative Policy 805, section 6, A, A.15.

Back to top

Transfer Information

You can transfer from one Independent Learning course to another. Only one transfer per registration is allowed, and your course completion date will remain the same as your original course completion date. If you choose to transfer to another course, you will be charged:

The administrative fee from the original course will not be refunded. The original course tuition you paid will be applied to your new registration.

Back to top


To transfer credits to your home campus, submit your signed transcript request form to the Student Records Office. Their contact information follows:

UW-Extension Student Records
702 Langdon Street, Room 139
Madison, WI 53706
Fax: 608-265-3163
Phone: 608-262-1953
Email*: studentrecords@ecc.uwex.edu

You may order copies of your transcript for $10.00 each. *If you choose to scan and email your form, please do not include your credit card information on the form. Instead, call Student Records directly to pay over the phone.

Back to top

Proctors and Proctoring Exams

You are required to take exams under the supervision of an approved proctor. It is up to you to request an exam and find a qualified proctor. A proctor is a supervisor or monitor specially appointed to give exams to students.  Some proctors or proctoring services charge for their time. Any fees associated with securing a proctor or taking exams is your responsibility.

Back to top

Who Are Acceptable Proctors?

Proctors must have academic responsibility in a university/technical college or school setting. Acceptable proctors for most Independent Learning courses include:

If the student is an employee at a K-12 school, then no one from that school would qualify as a proctor.

Military personnel

Military personnel may use qualified military personnel, for example, any commissioned officer of higher rank than the student, a base commander, a noncommissioned officer in command of a military post, or a base librarian. The proctor nomination must include a letter on official letterhead verifying the proctor's position. Nonmilitary personnel are not eligible for this proctor selection.

Incarcerated students

Incarcerated students may use qualified correctional facility personnel, for example correctional institution education services staff. Students who are not currently incarcerated are not eligible for this proctor selection.

Who are not acceptable proctors?

Any requested proctor who does not meet approved criteria must be authorized by the director of Independent Learning.

Proctors must receive the exam at the location they teach or supervise and must be identifiable as employees there. The exam must be administered at the proctor's place of professional employment during regular work hours and under the nominated proctor's personal supervision. Proctors cannot have any vested interest in the outcome of the student's exam. There can be no conflict of interest for the student and proctor.

Back to top

United States Department of Education's Program Integrity Rule

Contact information for outside state complaints relating to distance learning or correspondence education

Notification of UW System complaint process for program integrity

Back to top

Registration Disclosure

UW Independent Learning is a part of UW-Extension, a member of the University of Wisconsin System, and is registered with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.

UW Independent Learning is not regulated in Texas under Chapter 132 of the Texas Education Code.

UW Independent Learning partners with campuses in the University of Wisconsin System. Every campus in the system is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, an independent corporation and one of two members of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

Back to top

Live Help

Student Services Person

You may ask your questions through online chat Monday–Thursday 8:00 a.m.– 6:00 p.m. (CST) and Friday 8:00 a.m.– 4:30 p.m. (CST).

View Our Course Catalog

Choose from nearly 100 courses in a wide range of subjects.

View Course Catalog