Chances are, someone else has already asked the questions you have in mind. Frequently Asked Questions topics include everything from registration numbers, to exam taking, to how to contact an instructor. View the list below to find the answers you need.
- Are UW Independent Learning courses accredited, and will they transfer to other institutions?
- What types of credit do you offer? Do you offer courses for graduate credit?
- Do you offer financial aid, and can you sign my student loan deferment form?
- Can I take a UW Independent Learning course without paying additional tuition?
- How much do your courses cost, and how do I pay for them?
- How do I get my books and materials?
- More questions about books and materials.
- How do I register?
- Where can I find my registration number?
- How can I contact my instructor?
- How do I submit lessons?
- What is the email option?
- Where and how do I take exams?
- How long do I have to complete my course? What if I need an extension?
Our faculty and instructors are based at UW institutions that are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and are members of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Before enrolling, check with your home campus adviser about the transferability of the Independent Learning courses you are considering.
See how the UW Transfer Informaton System can help you check how Independent Learning courses transfer to your UW campus.
We offer courses for undergraduate-level university credit. We do not offer courses for graduate credit.
Independent Learning is not able to offer direct financial assistance to students. Unfortunately we are not able to sign your student loan deferment form.
If you are currently enrolled as a full-time student at any UW System institution (other than UW-Stout), you may be eligible for enrollment in an Independent Learning course without paying additional tuition.
To enroll in an Independent Learning course without paying additional tuition:
- Ask your adviser how to verify your eligibility for concurrent enrollment in a UW Independent Learning course and where to obtain the required approval form to include the course as part of your full-time load.
- Go to the UW Independent Learning website (il.wisconsin.edu/catalog/index.aspx) and pre-register for the course you would like to take. When you reach the Payment Options page, choose the "mail/fax/purchase order" option and click "Submit Registration."
- Once you pre-register for the course you will receive an automated confirmation email from Independent Learning letting you know we received your pre-registration. You can scan and email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the completed approval form to UW Independent Learning Student Services by attaching it to the confirmation email.
- Call UW Independent Learning Student Services 1-877-UW-LEARN (895-3276) and pay the $75 administrative fee over the phone or pay by check. If the total number of credits you are taking in a semester (including credits through Independent Learning) exceeds 18, you will also be responsible for the cost of the additional credits.
Once we receive your form, pre-registration, and payment, we will complete your registration.
*For general information about multiple-campus enrollments, see UW-System Policy F44, A.15, 1 http://www.uwsa.edu/fadmin/fppp/fppp44.htm
Tuition and fees are listed in the course catalog. Payment is by American Express, Discover, MasterCard, VISA, check, or money order.
Most courses require a textbook. Unless otherwise indicated, textbooks may be purchased through the University of Wisconsin-Extension Bookstore, powered by Follett. Students may also look into using other online or traditional retail bookstores. (Purchasing your books through Follett will ensure that you get the right editions of the right books for your classes.)
Your registration number can be found on the statement of accounts that we mail to you upon receipt of your registration and payment. You can also find it in your Independent Learning Welcome Letter.
Instructor contact information is included in your Welcome Letter.
To contact an instructor before registering, contact Student Services at:
University of Wisconsin-Extension
5602 Research Park Boulevard, Suite 300
Madison, WI 53719-1245
Phone: 1-877-UW-LEARN (895-3276)
Deaf/HoH via 711 Wisconsin Relay
Lessons for print Independent Learning courses can be sent by e-mail or postal mail.
Online students submit lessons and assignments through Desire2Learn (D2L), our online course software.
Most of our courses are offered online, some are available in print only.
The email option is available in all print courses. It allows you to send and receive your corrected assignments by email.
Exams must be proctored (supervised). You must find your own proctor, generally a librarian, a principal, or a guidance counselor from a local high school, or an academic adviser or professor. Detailed information about who may serve as a proctor is available in the Policies section on this web site, on the Exam Request Forms or by contacting Student Services.
You have one year from the date of your registration to complete your course. If you need more time, you may contact Student Services to request a three-month extension ($100 per course). You may request a second three-month extension ($200 per course), as long as total time does not exceed 18 months.